Petfinder's 2011 Most Pet-Friendly North American Airlines
Petfinder.com has compiled their list of North America’s most pet friendly airlines. Not sure that’s easy to do. In fact, not sure how anyone – these days – could compile a list of airlines that are people friendly. No matter, here’s what Petfinder has come up with:
- Most Pet-Friendly Overall: Pet Airways. Not sure how his counts, exactly. After all, they only fly pets. Still a good thing, the first ever pet-only airline.
- Best Amenities for Pets (and Pet Parents): JetBlue. Petfinder says, “For the second year in a row, JetBlue’s superior JetPaws program landed the airline in top place for the pet-friendly amenities category. The customer-focused airline provides travelers with a pet carrier baggage tag, a travel “petiquette” guide, 300 TrueBlue points each way, and a comprehensive e-booklet with pet-friendly hotels, restaurants, parks and animal hospitals in some of JetBlue’s major cities.”
- Best for Transporting Pet Variety: Frontier Airlines. Frontier allows the most diverse variety of pets in cabin, including rabbits, Guinea pigs, hamsters and small household birds, not to mention cats and dogs.
- Best for Budget-Conscious Consumers: WestJet. I personally think it’s a rip off to charge anything for pets in cabin. They don’t (yet) charge a fee for carrying two things on the plane with you. So what, if one is a pet and you arrange in advance? WestJet is included in Petfinder.com’s review for the first time, WestJet tops this category allowing small dogs, cats, rabbits and birds to travel for $50 each way in-cabin. Runner up is AirTran Airways, allowing domesticated dogs, cats and birds to fly in cabin for $69 each way.
- Best for Flying Multiple Pets in Cabin: Frontier Airlines. Allows up to 10 pet containers on each flight. While only one pet container is allowed per person, if you have nine other human friends traveling with you, the entire group can travel with up to 10 small four-legged friends.
- Best for Big Furry Friends: Pet Airways. Size doesn’t matter, from Mastiff to Miniature Poodle, and everything in between.
Learn more about Petfinder’s list, and explanations of why the airlines ranked, and also more pet travel tips: here.