Why Seek Out Certified Cat Friendly Practices
On my national Steve Dale’s Pet World radio show, Dr. Elizabeth Colleran talks about Cat Friendly veterinary practices.
The Cat Friendly Practice program is a global initiative designed to elevate care for cats by reducing stress and making visits easier for cats and caregivers. This is a program awarded by the American Association of Feline Practitioners. Colleran notes that the satisfaction rate is 99 percent – agreeing it is is a better experience and therefore better health care for cats
One reason so many cats don’t see the veterinarian is that caretakers perceive the experience is so awful. Fix that – as Cat Friendly Practices have – and visiting the vet is far more tolerable. You can expect these practices to:
- Understand the unique needs and behaviors of cats.
- Have a feline-friendly environment and make veterinary visits more cat-friendly.
- Understand how to approach and handle cats in a gentle, empathetic, and caring manner.
- Have the appropriate equipment and facilities needed to diagnose and treat feline patients.
- Meet specific standards for the facility and care of hospitalized cats.